Our social enterprises create excellent employment opportunities for members of the local community – roles in the cafe, hostal and tourism office are paid and filled by local staff. Our pay far exceeds the low Nicaraguan minimum wage and our conditions are favourable. We supplement this incredible team with international volunteers who can share skills that aren’t prevalent locally, or to promote our development projects that otherwise couldn’t happen without volunteers. Read more about our values here.
We expect that international volunteers’ motivations will be to understand a little more about the ways of northern Nicaragua, use and learn skills that will serve them well in the future and work in solidarity with a community to address the effects of a global imbalance of power.
Apply via our non-profit partner Omprakash, who can also receive donations on our part.
You will also receive information on FAQ’s etc once you apply for a position. If you have multiple interests and skills, then please tell us and we can be flexible (our middle name!) about your definite position.
You can reach out to us at email@example.com for further information (or stop by if you’re already in town!).
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Social Enterprise Junior Management Opportunity
- Educational program development
- Eco tourism officer
- Social Networking and marketing
- Writing articles or newsletters to promote our work and recent highlights or activities around Estelí
- English Teaching (dependent on demand)
- Fundraising & Grant Writing
Intermediate Spanish is a minimum requirement. Additionally volunteers should have the ability to work on their own initiative in grassroots development to promote the initiatives and help grow our projects while expanding the positive impact to the beneficiaries of our work.
More information about our projects can be found here.
If you wish to be here 6 months:
It takes time to get accustomed to the ways of Northern Nicaragua, and time for us to share our projects and ideas with you. We will ask you to pay monthly in advance for:
- Accommodation: in the hostal or in our nearby apartment including breakfast: $300
- Staff time to share our projects, experience and working ways with you $80
- We may also ask you to complete a few days of Spanish lessons depending on your experience of Nicaraguan Spanish. This will be with one of the very reputable language schools here in Esteli and will be around $110
- You may also like to use our airport pick up service from Managua – typically $100
If you plan to stay longer – 6 months or more is a great time to understand a new and different country and be able to take initiative with projects – we will make an arrangement with you that will reflect the knowledge you then have of our projects. We’ll probably be asking you to get involved in a specific role, or project that uses skills or interests you already have. If you’re not already here in Nicaragua we’ll Skype (or similar) and ask you to address specific points of a role description.
If you would like to support us with your time in this way, we’d love to hear from you.
In the coming months we also hope to:
- Include a social enterprise professional to work with us to understand the impact of our model, so that we can better describe the effects of what we do: on the local community, on us as employees and on international visitors. We feel this is a different way of approaching social justice in contrast to the classic approach of external non governmental organisations and would like to evidence this and see where we are succeeding.
- Involve an accounting professional to support us to assess what record keeping and reporting systems are needed for our multiple enterprises and how best to implement them.
- Share our ideas and plans with those that can support us to raise funds through grants that will support our model of social change through enterprise.